what's the point

Postwhat's the point
AuthorLiz
Liz.a.platts@googlemail[dot]com
Posted At14:42, 27th Oct 2012
312 weeks ago
In having a flag status if it doesn't relate to the river flow. Iffley closed in a buck at 10 this morning

PostRE: what's the point
AuthorMatthew
captainofcoxes@gmail[dot]com
Posted At18:57, 27th Oct 2012
312 weeks ago
Hi there,

Firstly it's great having people checking the lock so that we can be as up to date as possible- so thanks for the post! The point of the flag though is to indicate a *general* level of safety for rowing on the Isis stretch of river. Sadly this comprises more than simply the level of stream (such as ice, wind, fog) and today having assessed the conditions and the way X-status coxes were coping on the river with novice crews it was deemed by Michael, Ian, RQ and myself that blue flag was best to remain for the day. I believe that this was a sensible decision based on the way crews were dealing with the wind. With the wind dying down overnight we hope green flag should be appropriate tomorrow.

I believe this flexibility is a key part to setting the flag- it may be worth thinking about classifying what wind speeds warrant such a change, however, for now it seems to work well done based on how crews are coping. If people are unhappy with the flag status always feel free to contact one of the committee and we can sort out whether we are just being a bit slow or if there is perhaps another valid reason for the flag not being what the "bucks" would dictate! Ian and Michael are very on the ball with checking the "bucks" drawn though so this should be a rare occurance!

Hope this clarifies for you!

Matt

AuthorIan Maconnachie
sabbatical@ourcs[dot]co[dot]uk
Posted At00:30, 28th Oct 2012
312 weeks ago
I should probably add that the amount of bucks drawn at the weir is the minimum standard that we use for the flag. Wind or anything else that might adversely affect the flag status can be taken into account to increase the flag, but not decrease it.

Also, myself and MP spent all of yesterday in consultation with the lock keeper about the possibility of going down one buck, and we were very much hoping for green flag, but unfortunately the winds counteracted this change.

As you can see, the river has now changed to green flag for tomorrow based on wind predictions, but could change back again if winds pick up in the morning.

Myself and the rest of the committee do our very best to ensure that we have the most up-to-date information regarding the flag status, but if you think we are lagging behind then please don't hesitate to email me or Michael (president@ourcs.co.uk), and we'll do our best to either correct it or explain why the flag is at it's current level. Unfortunately, we don't get alerted to forum posts, and so I wouldn't recommend using this as a method of communication for this particular area of concern.

AuthorAnu Dudhia
dudhia@atm
Posted At10:06, 28th Oct 2012
312 weeks ago
Yesterday (Saturday) morning, under 'Blue Flag' conditions and not particularly heavy river traffic I noticed a couple of VIIIs getting into difficulty at Long Bridges.

Personally, I would have recommended keeping it Blue Flag today because I reckon there's going to be too much traffic and too much stream for a novice cox to be let loose on the water.

AuthorIan Maconnachie
sabbatical@ourcs[dot]co[dot]uk
Posted At10:54, 28th Oct 2012
312 weeks ago
I'll be down all afternoon and the situation will be monitored. The winds aren't as high as yesterday so I have every reason to believe that we might be able to cope with green flag for today, but if crews are getting into difficulty then it will go back up.

May I please remind everyone of RQs email asking X/S coxes to please continue through the gut where possible, rather than spinning at Longbridges, in order to give the N coxes more room.