River Closure - Autumn Fours

PostRiver Closure - Autumn Fours
AuthorLiz
liz.a.platts@googlemail[dot]com
Posted At13:06, 2nd Nov 2012
311 weeks ago
Curious as to why and on who's authority the river is now being closed all day tomorrow (or until racing is over).
The agenda and the minutes of the last Captain's Meeting has the closed hours from 1200 till end of racing.
Presumably someone missed the time needed to lay a few buoys - however City and Academicals will be out all morning, so don't see why college crews can't be for at least part of it too.

PostRE: River Closure - Autumn Fours
AuthorLiz
Posted At13:08, 2nd Nov 2012
311 weeks ago
Mind - probably academic any way as it looks like it'll be red boards by later this afternoon!

AuthorLiz
Posted At13:37, 2nd Nov 2012
311 weeks ago
Seems it's not just me who's narked
http://usrowers.com/talkrowing/index.php?showtopic=13047&view=findpost&p=293515

AuthorIan Maconnachie
sabbatical@ourcs[dot]co[dot]uk
Posted At14:52, 2nd Nov 2012
311 weeks ago
This one is for everyone.

I should probably take the blame for this one. I should have had the closure proposed for the whole day in the first place. It is to allow the local clubs to train in the morning, as should have been explained. It is not to allow us to set up, which we can easily do with crews out on the water. As it hasn't been passed at a Captain's Meeting, you could say that it isn't binding. However, that won't stop other river users (rightly) being annoyed about any college crews going out in the morning.

I got it wrong, and for that, I'm sorry. In future, a similar river closure will be put in place for any events that run on a Saturday, as is procedure with us, and has been for years. The reason I didn't pick up on this when considering the river closure was because last year's event ran on a Sunday, when the river is closed beforehand anyway (after 8am).

Christ Church Regatta already has this closure (it has been passed at a Captain's Meeting), as does Nephthys Regatta.

Massive apologies to everyone for this inconvenience, it won't happen again.

In other news we are trying our hardest to make sure we can run an event tomorrow despite the adverse conditions, but please stay alert to a possible cancellation if the river goes red flag beforehand. Obviously any river closures become obsolete if we are up at red flag.

AuthorStewie
thomas.stewardson@bnc
Posted At17:40, 2nd Nov 2012
311 weeks ago
I heard about this indirectly yesterday, so decided to look up the rules on this. I refer you to A4.2.2: "For regattas on a Saturday, the OURCs river closure for college and University crews must start from an hour before sunrise out of courtesy to other rivers users, to allow them the use of the river prior to the regatta start time."

So this is standard procedure, but with new committee and new captains it got missed at the CM.

AuthorAnu Dudhia
dudhia@atm
Posted At09:50, 4th Nov 2012
311 weeks ago
Liz is probably new to coaching around here so wasn't aware of what has been standard practice for a number of years now.