Nephthys Regatta

PostNephthys Regatta
AuthorRichard W
richard.watson@pmb
Posted At20:00, 4th Nov 2012
294 weeks ago
Hi All
Another reminder that Nephthys Regatta entries open soon, so get planning your crews. Nephthys is the best way to guarantee your novices a race in Michaelmas term and potentially your best recruiting tool for Torpids. Christ Church Regatta is frequently cancelled in part or in full, making for a an anticlimactic end to a term of cold and wet training, whereas Nephthys regatta has gone ahead in full every time. With a better sense of competition than an IWL and better practice for Christ Church Regatta for your coxes, it can be a real incentive for first timers to committ to the sport. It's also one of the few chances for seniors to race side-by-side in Oxford, in both 4s and 8s, so don't miss out.

Further details on the website (http://www.oulrc.org/events/nephthysregatta). Don't miss out on your best recruitment tool for novices and race preparation for seniors.
Best

Richard (OULRC Treasurer 2012-2013)

PostRE: Nephthys Regatta
AuthorRichard W
richard.watson@pmb
Posted At18:30, 6th Nov 2012
293 weeks ago
Just to clarify some points

Composite crews between two colleges are allowed for the lightweight events.

Associates are permitted in all events under the rules for Bumps.

AuthorRichard W
richard.watson@pmb
Posted At16:28, 8th Nov 2012
293 weeks ago
Another issue being raised. To enter ltw crews, enter as a normal 4+ (the OURCs system doesn't offer a specific lightweight option) and add a note saying they're ltw. We'll then put you in the correct draw.
Best

R

AuthorPhil McCullough
p.mccullough@stcatz.oxon
Posted At23:46, 8th Nov 2012
293 weeks ago
the OURCs system doesn't offer a specific lightweight option

Now it does - you can now select the category of 'Lwt 4+' option if entering new crews.

Crews who are already entered before I just made this change - it is possible to move your category over, but either myself or the webmaster will have to do it - Richard doesn't have powers to change it.

Watch this space.

AuthorPaul Taylor
paul.taylor@bioch
Posted At11:00, 9th Nov 2012
293 weeks ago
Hi all,

I'm SU for Nephthys Regatta this year, and I wanted to post a quick note about the possible impact of the high river level on racing, for novices in particular.

Obviously this term's novices haven't had much time on the water this term, so it's likely that should Nephthys Regatta run at all, we'll be using a significantly shorter course than normal for the novice races to make sure that we can get SOME racing done.

I hope this makes sense. Obviously we'd rather run the regatta in its normal format, but we feel that this is a good compromise to make sure the novices get some race experience before Christ Church Regatta.

Any problems, please get in touch.
Paul.

AuthorRichard W
richard.watson@pmb
Posted At09:01, 12th Nov 2012
293 weeks ago
Hi All

Apologies if this wasn't clear from previous emails - X or S status coxes are exempt from the HT 2012 rule. We're not allowing Novice coxes who qualified in TT or MT 2012 as we can't guarantee sufficient experience but if your freshers have come to Oxford at X status, we assume they'll know what they're doing.
Best

Richard

AuthorStewie
thomas.stewardson@bnc
Posted At18:59, 12th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
Richard - am I reading this right that N-status coxes who registered in HT12 (and are therefore very close to auto-upgrade) WILL be allowed to cox in Nephthys? That is, assuming that the flag doesn't rise such that coxes are further restricted.

Thanks

AuthorRichard W
richard.watson@pmb
Posted At09:14, 13th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
Dear Stewie

That's exactly what I'm saying. Novice coxes who qualified then (HT) should have at least one term of experience under their belt but due to the river status in TT last year and so far this year we can't be sure the same is true of other N status coxswains.
Best
Richard

AuthorPhil McCullough
p.mccullough@stcatz.oxon
Posted At18:13, 13th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
Apologies to hijack the Nephthys chat, but to pick up on a previous post:

N-status coxes who registered in HT12 (and are therefore very close to auto-upgrade)

As I'm sure Matt and Rachel would be very keen to point out, the auto-upgrade system is only available to those coxes who have actively coxed for three full terms. Unless the cox in question has had significant chance to practice on other waters, you should not be putting them through an auto-upgrade. Doing so is equivalent to upgrading someone who has had a term's worth of experience and ''is a bit rusty'' because they haven't done it in a while.

Of course, it doesn't stop you from asking for an assessment if you think they're good enough.

AuthorStewie
thomas.stewardson@bnc
Posted At19:32, 13th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
Of course, Phil. I was merely referring to the fact that such coxes can be auto-upgraded next term, not saying that they were necessarily suitable for it.

Richard - thanks for confirming, I'm not on the captains' mailing list so there's a certain amount of regatta chatter I don't get.

AuthorPhil McCullough
p.mccullough@stcatz.oxon
Posted At21:48, 13th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
Sorry to patronise you :-/

The trouble is that when we're not arsehole pedants, statements like these result in people going 'well I thought you could row up the wrong side of the river as long as you had two flashing red lights on your boat - I even read it on your forums'. And then that means more hassle for you on the river when they go and almost smash in to your first boat.

Anyway - Nephthys! Will there be a reinstatement of OUW's fantastic 'lift a lightweight' campaign?

AuthorPaul Taylor
paul.taylor@bioch
Posted At15:12, 15th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

Richard will shortly be sending out the draw for Nepthys Regatta on Saturday. We apologies for the delay, but we've been trying to come up with the best compromise to allow as many crews as possible to race, whilst keeping the event in its original format. Here's a quick summary of what we're doing.

All of the senior races will be held over the FULL Nephthys Regatta course, starting at Long Bridges Boat House and finishing at the Cox stone.

All of the novice 1st and 2nd round, and 1/4 finals will be held over a REDUCED course, starting at the downstream end of Boat House Island, and finishing at the Cox stone.

Novice semi-finals onwards will be held over the FULL course.

All senior crews racing will be asked to wait until after the last novice 1/4 final before they push off. Crews racing after 1330 will be asked to head downstream under the instruction of the marshals, and warm up and find your opponents below the gut (ie normal Nephthys Regatta circulation).

Crews racing before 1330 will not be allowed below the gut. Instead they should warm up on land, and head downstream on the towpath side of the river. Crews should spin upstream of Long Bridges, so they don't get sucked down the weirs there. Crews should then marshal on Green Bank in pairs, until they are called up to the start line by the marshals.

I'm sorry that we've had to shorten the course like this, but I felt it was the best way to run the regatta. We're sending out a circulation pattern to the Captains with the revised programme, any questions please get in touch!

See you on Saturday,
Paul.

AuthorRichard W
richard.watson@pmb
Posted At19:00, 15th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
Hi all

For those not on the cpts mailing list, the relevant documents alongside a copy of the message to captains can be found here (assuming I've understood the dark magic of dropbox).
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0t19ccljodv13hf/-a4CHjsSwq
Best

Richard

AuthorStewie
thomas.stewardson@bnc
Posted At00:28, 16th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
Anyone spotted the deliberate mistake in the draw? Currently reads:

35 WN8+ QF Winner R26 vs Winner R27
36 MN8+ QF Winner R24 vs Winner R25
37 MN8+ QF Winner R28 vs Winner R29

However, I think races 25 - 28 have been mixed up, so the progressions are wrong (R27 is a men's race, for example). According to the tree diagrams, it should read:

35 WN8+ QF Winner R25 vs Winner R26
36 MN8+ QF Winner R24 vs Winner R28
37 MN8+ QF Winner R27 vs Winner R29

Note that this MAY NOT BE RIGHT, this is my interpretation of the documents given and may not be the official or binding one. I will email this direct to Richard in a moment, hopefully he will get it sorted on Dropbox ASAP.

AuthorRichard W
richard.watson@pmb
Posted At10:22, 16th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
The force is strong with you Stewie, thanks for flagging that up. The dropbox draw has been updated to include this and a scratch.
Best

Richard

AuthorRichard W
richard.watson@pmb
Posted At19:32, 17th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
Dear Captains

The day of racing has ended, with triumph and despair in equal measure. We’ve had dominant crews leaving the oppo in the dust, we’ve had verdicts measured in feet and finally we had winners. Congratulations to the following

Mltw4+ Lincoln
M4+ Trinity
W8+ Lady Margaret Hall
WN8+ Brasenose
MN8+ University

On a serious note, the survey monkey link is still active (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZPFQX2R) and we’d really welcome some feedback on the event for next year. Fill in your thoughts in the “any more comments” and we’ll try to work on those for next year (half way through a 6 yr course, I’ve got 2 more tries at getting this perfect so best start now). Feel free to share this link with your crews as well (it’ll be going on the forum) and don’t feel obliged to detail your name – anonymous feedback is just as useful (though if you do give contact details we can get in touch to clarify issues if needed)

Thanks again for your patience with a slightly topsy turvy schedule and see you all next year.
Best

Richard

AuthorR Watson
richard.watson@pmb
Posted At19:56, 17th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
^ is a copy of the mailout to the cpts mailing list - we want feedback from everyone so please send it in, novices/seniors, rowers/coxswains, it's all useful.
Best

R

AuthorRichard W
richard.watson@pmb
Posted At17:19, 18th Nov 2012
292 weeks ago
Full results (all races with verdict included) now on the dropbox folder - that link again. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0t19ccljodv13hf/-a4CHjsSwq