Christ Church regatta dates should be changed

PostChrist Church regatta dates should be changed
AuthorChristos Krastev
christos.krastev@magd
Posted At10:50, 23rd Nov 2012
269 weeks ago
Hello there,

I would like to raise the big issue with the Ch Church Regatta, that probably happens every single year. I know that this regatta has a very old tradition to be on this specific week between weekdays. However why hasn't anyone considered that tradition isn't practical anymore and needs immediate change ?This chaos of being on weekdays when undergraduates and MSc students have tutorials and graduate students have to do experiments in their labs is unacceptable. First it prevents very highly committed people to enjoy a sport that they have taken up because it interferes hugely with their academic schedules.And it also causes anxiety because if some people can't turn up for their race due to other academic commitments and there are no replacements for them, then the ALL the crew suffers since they can't race having less than 8 people. Hence it is time for tradition to adapt to the new lifestyle we have currently ! I would suggest that instead of doing the Regatta on Wed, Thursday, Friday and Saturday which clearly causes a lot of disturbance and anxiety, that we do the Regatta for 2 consecutive weekends. First weekend have the preliminary rounds and then the next weekend do the semifinals and finals. In the week between crews have the chance to train more and reflect on their performance and race next time with improved style . I really hope that the organisers and president of the Rowing club, take this very seriously and have a vote on it. Problems are there to be solved in life, and this is a problem guys! Thank you for your time reading this.

Kind regards,
Christos

PostRE: Christ Church regatta dates should be changed
AuthorJonathan Ross
jonathan.ross@pmb
Posted At12:02, 23rd Nov 2012
269 weeks ago
Hi Christos,

I'm sure people more involved in organisation than me can comment on this - but there are a few points worth considering - you also need to be aware that Eights and Torpids run over 4 days from Wednesday to Saturday as well.

From an organisational perspective - weekend time on the river is hot property. We are far from the only river users (City of Oxford, Falcon rowing and canoeing, Academicals, pleasure boaters, fishermen) and to take up two entire consecutive weekends would not go down well with these other users. In fact I'd imagine that the Environment Agency would flat out say no to the proposal. Certainly for Eights Saturday is a nightmare with huge crowds and extensive river traffic - I wouldn't want to go through that 4 times in the space of 8 days.

From a personal point of view - I've now rowed in 9 sets of bumping races - as an undergrad, a taught grad and a Dphil research student and have never had a problem with scheduling. Tutors are surprisingly accommodating if you speak to them early. The 1000+ students that compete in Eights each year are also testament to this.

So in short - I'm afraid this proposal is extremely unlikely to ever come to fruition

Jonathan

AuthorIan Maconnachie
sabbatical@ourcs[dot]co[dot]uk
Posted At12:04, 23rd Nov 2012
269 weeks ago
The first thing I would say to this is that our already busy Michaelmas term prevents a lot of training time for the local clubs. If we were to move to two weekends then we would be taking up both Sundays (but they would still get the morning) and both Saturdays (they would get virtually no time). Holding events during the week prevents this disturbance. I am in contact with the local clubs, who I think are already allowing us a lot of closed river time in Michaelmas Term (2 IWLs, Autumn Fours, Nephthys Regatta).

Secondly, this would remove two weekends worth of training time for the senior crews that train on the Isis, which I'm sure would not go down well.

Thirdly, conditions can change drastically in a week. This could work out well if the first weekend was red flag, and the second green, since racing could occur. But what about if the first weekend was green and racing started, but then the next weekend it was red? The whole event would come crashing to a halt, and no winners could be decided. If it is only over four days then plans can be made to avoid a sudden cancellation and no winners being decided. For example, in this year's competition, if it had been cancelled after two full days racing, then a winner could have been decided on average time (or even just one day).

Although it would be nice to not have to shuffle academic commitments, the cost would be great in terms of damage to other people's rowing time. This applies to both our own senior rowers and the local clubs. Most people are able to move things around in order to be able to get down and race (in my experience, even unaccommodating tutors will normally rearrange for a race), and the organisers are normally able to accommodate for it by moving races if necessary. At the end of the day, if the rowing community can shuffle for Torpids and Summer Eights, when absolutely no race can be rescheduled, then they can probably do it for Christ Church Regatta as well.

Despite believing that this change is not the best thing to do, I can completely understand where you are coming from. I also organised the event last year, and had to deal with a lot of rescheduled races due to academic commitments. Also, this year I have been coaching two novice boats, and had to ask for a race to be rescheduled so that one of the rowers could do an assessed presentation and rush down afterwards.

I understand that some things just can't be rescheduled (or missed), but I'm afraid that's just luck of the draw. The vast majority can deal with race timings, or can sub in someone else, and in my opinion we shouldn't shorten the amount of time that crews have to train on the Isis in an already busy term for the minority that can't. Also, last year, I allowed some crews to double up rowers if they couldn't fill a boat, but they counted as a friendly crew and would automatically count as losing their race.

I hope you see where I am coming from.

Ian

AuthorChristos Krastev
christos.krastev@magd
Posted At12:13, 23rd Nov 2012
269 weeks ago
Thank you for your quick response guys and thank you for enlightening me about how complex the situation is ! I would never think that it's that difficult. Very good points raised by both of you and well explained! Then I guess we just have to stick with what's currently the norm.

Thank you guys and keep up the good work !

Christos