IWL Points Scoring System

PostIWL Points Scoring System
AuthorTom Stewardson
secretary@ourcs[dot]co[dot]uk
Posted At16:24, 14th Nov 2014
201 weeks ago
Hey all

You can read up on the current points system here: http://www.ourcs.org.uk/Racing/IWL/Scoring_Guide

This system was put together in 2011 when IWL trophies first became available and it was decided that a points system should be formalised.

At the moment this works reasonably well for IWLs where colleges mostly enter their 1st and 2nd VIIIs as complete crews. However for IWLs where a lot of crews contain the same people doubling up, the 2nd boat points get pushed very far down the list (as do some of the first boat points!) and we award a lot of points to very slow crews. It also provides relatively poor representation for small boats; it is possible to argue that as small boats require a level of finesse and skill in rowing far above that required to bash an eight up the river and grab a few points, they should be recognised separately, and that those doubling up from big boats to small boats should be allowed to gain points.

Therefore I'm currently thinking that we could change to a system a bit like this:

For each gender, we define each college's fastest large boat (eight, four or quad) as its first boat, and its second fastest large boat containing no doubled up rowers as its second boat.

We then award points to the 10 fastest 1st boats as currently (25 / 18 / 15 / 12 / 10 / 8 / 6 / 4 / 2 / 1)
Points to the 6 fastest second boats according to a new scale (Say 12 / 9 / 6 / 4 / 2 / 1)
Points to the 6 fastest small boats (singles, pairs and doubles) according to the same scale as 2nd boats, regardless of doubling up.

This reduces the points given to second boats, and gives small boats their own recognition. The question is whether reducing the number of points given to second boats is a good thing.

Another question is whether entirely excluding doubling up in big boats is good or necessary. We could change the rule such that rowers can double up provided that less than half of that 2nd boat is rowing in any ranked 1st boat. However this adds a lot of faff to the points calculations, which are difficult as it is.

Another system entirely might be to simply throw the 1st boat/2nd boat distinction in the bin, and award points to the (say) 15 fastest large boats provided that nobody is doubling up, and the 6 or 8 fastest small boats regardless of doubling up into large boats. This makes my life easier figuring out points but will now tend to provide very poor representation of genuine 2nd boats unless they are exceptionally quick.

This is a discussion thread, I'm just throwing ideas around. Nothing is decided and everything is flexible; these things aren't even in the rules of racing, I'm just looking to build a system that most people are happy with. If you have thoughts on the above or ideas of your own, please contribute. If we hack together a good system, we can put it to the Captains' Meeting at the start of next time and either use it retroactively for this year, or start using it next year.

Thanks
Stewie

PostRE: IWL Points Scoring System
AuthorStevan
stevan.boljevic@oriel
Posted At17:14, 14th Nov 2014
201 weeks ago
What happens if a small boat e.g. a double scull came within the 10 fastest large boats or the 10 fastest large 2nd boats?

Would they get the small boats points + the large boats points or just the small boats points?

PostRE: IWL Points Scoring System
AuthorTom Stewardson
secretary@ourcs[dot]co[dot]uk
Posted At22:44, 17th Nov 2014
200 weeks ago
Hey Stevan

I think in that situation they should receive only the small boats points, not both. It would be pretty impressive and rare for a crew to do so well, but not un-heard of.

The intention is to give small boats their own recognition, and in fact to encourage small boats entries from colleges, where few rowers ever row a boat smaller than a four.

Thanks
Stewie