Coxes' Varsity Race

PostCoxes' Varsity Race
AuthorJames Marsden
james.marsden@ccc
Posted At14:23, 6th Apr 2015
159 weeks ago
At various times in the past, there was an informal, totally unofficial, Varsity Coxes' Race. At various eras it was held in eights, coxed fours, coxless fours and pairs (including at least once with coxed pairs and a full-Blue rower as cox – I've seen photos, it's hilarious). As far as I know, the last attempt to revive it was under the banner of “OU Überlight RC” in about 2000, and it foundered because the Tabs didn't show any interest. Would people be at all in favour of trying to set up such an event again this summer?

Back in the day, the rules were something along the lines of “all rowers must have coxed a senior division first eight (according to the definitions at the respective universities) in Bumps in the past calendar year”; at least some of the time with “and not rowed in such a boat” added. In view of the fact there are a lot more women than men coxing top boats, I'd probably also suggest making crews “mixed” by BR definition i.e. half women minimum.

Obviously I don't want this basically fun event to seem like it's devaluing the incomparably bigger challenge that is getting selected for, racing and winning the proper Boat Races, but as long as we don't e.g. try to add it to HBR, and make very clear it's totally unofficial, I really don't think that would be the case. Anyone interested, drop me an email.

PostRE: Coxes' Varsity Race
AuthorSofia Hauck
sofia.hauck@stx
Posted At16:46, 6th Apr 2015
159 weeks ago
Entirely in favour. My suggestion (in terms of making this more likely to occur) is to try adding it as a category in an existing event like Oriel Regatta.

AuthorTobias Dirnhuber
tobias.dirnhuber@balliol
Posted At00:23, 9th Apr 2015
159 weeks ago
Yes

AuthorHarriet Noons
harriet-rose.noons@hertford
Posted At16:41, 17th Apr 2015
158 weeks ago
My time has come!

AuthorEdward Mills
edward.mills@wolfson
Posted At16:18, 22nd Apr 2015
157 weeks ago
Please! Please! PLEASE! And regarding Sofia's suggestion, can we try and get it into Oriel Regatta?

AuthorJames Marsden
james.marsden@ccc
Posted At18:57, 22nd Apr 2015
157 weeks ago
Unfortunately, May Bumps appear to clash with the most likely dates for Oriel (does anyone happen to know them for sure?), and the Cambridge Spring Regatta with Rowing-On, but I have dropped an email to the CUCBCs. If not this term, perhaps we might try next term for either Autumn Fours or Cambridge University Fours, which are both in mid-Michaelmas (not necessarily to race in 4+, just a convenient event).

AuthorSean Cannon
sean.cannon@sjc
Posted At12:28, 24th Apr 2015
157 weeks ago
Very keen

AuthorRQ
rachel.quarrell@balliol
Posted At00:21, 4th May 2015
155 weeks ago
The other stipulation used to be that the cox had to be a rower weighing at least 11.5 stone

Several 6ft4 rowers registered as coxes one year in order to go for the seat.
If I remember right, the heaviest was given the job.
No clue which university won.

RQ.

AuthorSofia Hauck
sofia.hauck@stx
Posted At12:04, 5th May 2015
155 weeks ago
If Cambridge won't cooperate, shall we have M Div 1 coxes vs. W Div 1 coxes?