Associates in Bumps - 4th Week CM Motion

PostAssociates in Bumps - 4th Week CM Motion
AuthorBernard Tao
bernard.tao@st-annes.oxon
Posted At11:37, 18th May 2015
134 weeks ago
While some of you may have strong opinions on whether associates, or transfers, or Honorary members should be able to compete in bumps, the motion at the beginning of term made me re-read this section of the rules, and there are several ambiguities, some of which are left over from the reshuffle in 2012.

The modifications suggested here should hopefully clarify what the Event Committee has actually enforced during my involvement with Bumps Event Committees.
I would encourage you all to consider the implications of the rules, and if you believe that my interpretation is wrong, please do leave a comment.

Current Rule:

A3.5 Associate members

1. 'Associate Members' of College Boat Clubs may row in bumps races subject to the following restrictions:
    1. Each College is permitted a maximum of three Associate Members in its Men's crews and three in its Women's crews.
    2. Associate Members may only compete in Rowing On crews, unless a College has no Rowing On crews, in which case they may compete in the College's lowest boat, provided it is not in a Senior Division, including the Sandwich Boats, at the start of the competition.
    3. If a College's lowest crew is in a Senior Division, Associate Members may still be used if specific permission is given by a Captains' Meeting. All other Associate Member rules must still be followed.
    4. Anyone wishing to appear as an Associate Member for one College who is eligible to appear for another College must have the signed written permission of both College Captains concerned, specifically given for that event/regatta.
  2. Associate Members must be indicated as such on the Entry Form.

My suggested modifications:

1. 'Associate Members' of College Boat Clubs may compete1 in bumps races subject to the following restrictions:
    1. Each College Boat Club2 is permitted three seats3 filled with associate members in its Men's crews, and three seats3 filled with associate members in its Women's crews.
    2. Associate Members may only compete in Rowing On crews, unless a College Boat Club has no qualified Rowing On crews for that gender.4
    3. If a College Boat Club has no qualified Rowing On crews for a given gender, associate members may only compete in the College Boat Club's lowest crew of that gender provided it is not in a Senior Division, including the Sandwich boats, at the start of the competition.
    4. If a College Boat Club's lowest crew for a given gender is in a Senior Division at the start of the competition, specific permission to compete as an associate member in that crew must be given by a majority vote at a Captains' meeting. The Associate Member(s) in question must be named in the proposed motion.5 All other Associate Member rules must still be followed.
    5. Anyone wishing to appear as an Associate Member for one College Boat Club who is eligible to appear for another College Boat Club must have the signed written permission of both College Boat Club Captains concerned, specifically given for that event/regatta.
  2. Associate Members must be indicated as such on the OURCs Entry System5.

What does this attempt to resolve?

1. Under the current wording, coxes are a fuzzy area. While I'm sure most will agree that coxes should be included with the associate rules, it can be argued that coxes are not bound by the restrictions, and associate coxes could compete in Men's Division 1!
  2. If each College is permitted 3 associates, then can clubs representing 2 colleges (e.g. Wolfson/STX, ChCh/Kellogg, Linacre/Nuffield) field a crew with 6 associates?
  3. Currently the rule says "three members", so if someone is rowing in one (rowing on) crew, and coxing another crew of the same gender (assuming coxing restrictions have not been lifted), then that club could still have 2 more associates, for a total of 4 seats with associates (for that gender).
    In addition the current wording does not allow for subbing out an associate for a different associate if all the slots have been filled. (i.e. on Wednesday, having Associates A, B and C; and on Thursday fielding associates A, B, and D)
    For the last several years we have set a precedent that you can sub associates out for other associates, so the wording of the rule should be updated to reflect that change (or alternatively, be enforced more rigorously).
  4. Assume a club has no Rowing On Women's crews, but does have Rowing on Men's crews. Current wording implies the Women cannot use associates in their lowest boat.
  5. These are in the 1st week Captains' Meeting agenda.