OURCs Captains' Meeting Minutes

2nd Week, Hilary Term 2005

Wednesday 2nd February 2005, 8pm

Flora Anderson Hall, Somerville College


1. Apologies for absence

Claire Weldon (OUWLRC); Robin Bourne-Taylor (OUBC)

2. Honorary Memberships

a. Kate Bugler from Brasenose to Exeter.
Was an undergraduate at Exeter and now a clinical medic at Brasenose.
Typically allowed.

Proposed: Rachel Harland (Exeter); Seconded: James Arthur (Exeter)

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 0.
PASSED.

6. Motions

Torpids rule changes

G1.5 Alter:

“Maintain a list of fines incurred during the event and notify the Boat Clubs concerned.“

to

“Maintain a list of fines incurred during the event and notify the Boat Clubs concerned of the amount and reason for all fines incurred.”

Proposed: Andy Hadcroft (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 0.
PASSED.

G1 Add:

“6. With the advice of the Captain of Coxes or his/her nominated substitute senior cox, maintain a list of notable coxing actions during the competition, including both penalised errors and praiseworthy coxing.”

Proposed: Rachel Quarrell (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

James Cockrill (Trinity) [JC] asked if the list of notable actions and coxes would be published.
Rachel Quarrell (OUCS) [RQ] stated that the Race Desk would keep a list during regattas and then send the details out to the OURCs mailing list.
All the details would also be added to the coxes’ records.
RQ also pointed out that any cox can request to see their record.

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 1.
PASSED.

G2.1 Alter:

“Decide, in conjunction with the Boatmen, OURCs Safety Adviser, and on the advice of the EA, whether conditions are safe for the event to be held, and, if necessary, alter the race format to meet safety requirements;”

to

“Decide, in conjunction with the Senior Umpires, Boatmen, OURCs Safety Adviser, and on the advice of the EA, whether conditions are safe for the event to be held, and, if necessary, alter the race format to meet safety requirements;”

Proposed: Andy Hadcroft (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

Lenny Martin (OURCs) [LM] asked who the OURCs Safety Adviser was. RQ stated that the rule should say the Area Safety Officer (Sport) [currently Andy Hadcroft].
Motion amended to read:

“G2.1: Decide, in conjunction with the Senior Umpires, Boatmen, Area Safety Officer (Sport), and on the advice of the EA, whether conditions are safe for the event to be held, and, if necessary, alter the race format to meet safety requirements;”

Voting on the amendment:

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 0.
PASSED.

G2.5 Alter:

“Require participating coxes to attend preparatory meetings;”

to

“Require participating coxes and officers of College clubs to attend preparatory meetings;”

Proposed: Rachel Quarrell (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

LM asked for clarification of ‘officers’
Jen Thomson (OURCs) stated that this had been discussed at a OURCs Committee Meeting earlier, and it was felt that it should be amended to: “Require participating coxes and at least one officer from each College boat club to attend preparatory meetings;”.
Amendment accepted.


It was also asked if the format of the meeting would be as in previous years (a short part for all, and a longer part for those new to Bumps).
RQ replied that this format seemed most effective, and college officers would only have to attend the first part.
RQ was also asked what coxes should do if they are out of the country for the coxing meeting – anyone in this position should email RQ or Alex MacDonald: individual exemptions can be mad, and usually one member of stern pair should be sent instead.

Voting on the amendment:


For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 1.
PASSED.

G2.7 Alter:

“Impose other penalties such as disqualification; time penalties or penalty bumps for dangerous conduct or violations of rules of racing.”

to

“Impose other penalties such as disqualification; time penalties, penalty bumps, demotion of coxes, or suspension of a cox (on the advice of the Captain of Coxes) or crew from racing, for dangerous conduct or violations of rules of racing.”

Proposed: Rachel Quarrell (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

JT pointed out that clarification and examples are needed regarding dangerous conduct (these will be in the appendices to the rules), and that conduct does not need to result in an incident to be deemed dangerous.
Also, more serious sanctions may be imposed for repeat offences.


JC asked if treating repeat offences more seriously is in the current rules.
RQ stated that the committee already has the ability to do this, e.g. the Captain of Coxes can fine, demote and then disqualify a cox.

Max Capener (Hertford) [MC] asked if time penalties were possible in bumps – it was explained that this is in the General Rules of Racing, so also covers other OURCs events such as the Isis Winter League.

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 1.
PASSED.

G2.8 Alter:

“…shall be made by three neutral members of the Eace Committee…”

to

“…shall be made by three neutral members of the Race Committee…”

Proposed: Andy Hadcroft (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 0.
PASSED.

G2.8 Remove:

“All other decisions to be made by 'the race committee' elsewhere in these rules shall be made by the whole Race Committee prior to the event taking place.”

Proposed: Rachel Quarrell (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

JT explained that this will move into the appendix to the rules – it is implicit, and is standard practice.

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 2.
PASSED.

G3 Alter:

“The Race Secretary for each event shall appoint a Senior Umpire.”

to

“The Race Secretary for each event shall appoint at least one Senior Umpire.”

Proposed: Rachel Quarrell (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 0.
PASSED.

G3.1 Alter:

“Interpret the OURCs rules in the event of any dispute, such a ruling to be binding unless overturned by an OURCs Committee meeting or a Captains' Meeting;”

to

“Interpret the OURCs rules in the event of any dispute, such a ruling to be binding;”

Proposed: Andy Hadcroft (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

JT explained that the existing rule allows race results and finishing orders to be overturned by a Captains’ Meeting after the event.


RQ alerted the Captains that such motions have been heard at Captains’ Meetings in the past, and some power is being taken away from the Captains in this rule change.
She urged the Captains to ensure that the rules were satisfactory before a regatta – Captains can change them if they feel they could be improved.


Cindy Drakeman (New) [CD] asked what the appeals procedure is for OURCs events.
JT explained that once the results of a division had been announced, any crews have 10 minutes to contact the race desk to contest the result.
A Race Committee will be held to consider the appeal, and a decision will be made.
If any party is still unhappy, they can appeal to the Senior Umpire (and then the Senior Member), but only if they feel that the OURCs Committee have mis-applied the rules.

MC asked what majority required at a Captains’ Meeting would be to overturn a race result.
JT answered that a simple majority is needed, but is unlikely to be achieved.

For: overwhelming; Against: 2; Abstentions: 7.
PASSED.

G3.3 Alter:

“Exclude any crew deemed not ready to start at the designated time.”

to

“Exclude any crew deemed not ready to start at the designated time or with unpaid fines under G6.3.”

Proposed: Rachel Quarrell (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

LM asked what the procedure was if a crew was deemed not ready to start.
RQ stated that the crew would be moved to the other side of the river, and the division started.
If the crew refused to move, the division would be started and immediately klaxoned.
Either way, the crew would be penalty bumped one place.


Richard Callow (SEH) asked what happens if a crew is late.
RQ advised that any crew who knows that they will be late to the start should alert the nearest marshall so that they can inform the start.


Jo Jefferis (Osler-Green) asked why OURCs could not just fine crews rather than having to try and get them off the racing line.
RQ explained that the exclusion is a deterrant, but also divisions cannot start late as the boatmen will remove the bunglines before the end of racing.

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 4.
PASSED.




G4 Add:

3. “Accept the rules of racing, as published on the OURCs website at the time of entry, as binding during the competition.”

Renumber existing G4.3, G4.4 and G4.5 accordingly.

Proposed: Andy Hadcroft (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

JT explained that this rule change means that any changes to rules must be made before entries open and no changes can be made at the Captains’ Meeting held on the evening of Rowing On.
Also, no crews have yet entered Torpids 2005, so the rule changes will still apply to Torpids 2005.

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 0.
PASSED.

G8.6 Alter:

“In the event of the Senior Umpire not being neutral in an appeal against a Race Committee ruling (including the grounds of having been involved in the original ruling), an agreed member of the Race Committee shall be appointed to act as Senior Umpire to rule on the appeal.“

to

“In the event of the Senior Umpire not being neutral in an appeal against a Race Committee ruling (including the grounds of having been involved in the original ruling), another Senior Umpire or an agreed member of the Race Committee shall be appointed to act as Senior Umpire to rule on the appeal.“

Proposed: Rachel Quarrell (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

CD asked who decides on the neutral party.
JT explained that it was her decision, but if there was problems, more than one SU could be involved.

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 0.
PASSED.

B1.1 Remove:

“(Not applicable in 2004 - as resolved by CM01 HT04)”

from

“Torpids shall be held from Wednesday to Saturday of 7th week of Hilary Term, except for those years in which it clashes with the Women's Eights Head when it shall be held from Wednesday to Saturday of 6th week of Hilary Term.



(Not applicable in 2004 - as resolved by CM01 HT04)”

Proposed: Andy Hadcroft (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

JT explained this rule was only relevant in 2004 when the rule change was made, but not applied to that year’s racing.


For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 0.
PASSED.

B4.2 Alter:

“Associate Members may not be entered in boats which are in Senior Divisions, as defined in rule B2.7, including the Sandwich Boats, at the start of the competition.”

to

“Associate Members may not be entered in boats which are in Senior Divisions, as defined in rule B2.7, including the Sandwich Boats, at the start of the competition, unless the Senior Division crew is the only one of that gender in the college.”

Combine with B4.1, and subsequently renumber B4.3, B4.4 and B4.5.

Proposed: Rachel Quarrell (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

RQ explained that she was willing to withdraw this motion as Anu Dudhia had pointed out that it may result in colleges not entering their 2nd VIII to allow associate members in their 1st VIII.


After a lengthy discussion regarding suitable wording, an amendment to the rule was agreed on:

“Associate Members may not be entered in boats which are in Senior Divisions, as defined in rule B2.7, including the Sandwich Boats, at the start of the competition, except in the lowest Senior Division crew of that college, with permission from a Captains’ Meeting.”


JT explained that this amendment meant that Captains had to apply to a Captains’ Meeting for associate members to row in their lowest Senior Division crew in the same way as honorary memberships.

Voting on the amendment:

For: overwhelming; Against: 1; Abstentions: 1.
PASSED.

B12.5 Alter:

“Penalty or other bumps shall not be awarded against crews that, after gaining a bump, continue to race due to reasonable uncertainty over whether or not the bump had occurred.”

to

“Penalty or other bumps shall not be awarded against crews that, after gaining a bump, continue to race safely due to reasonable uncertainty over whether or not the bump had occurred”

Proposed: Andy Hadcroft (SU); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 0.
PASSED.

7. OURCs Sabbatical position

JT explained that agreement had now been received from the University for OURCs to have a sabbatical officer to help run college rowing, since the position of Secretary had now become too large for a current student.
The total cost of the sabbatical position is £10040.80 based on a 10 month, 30 hours per week position.
It was stated that Captains had previously supported the idea of the sabbatical position, and now that figures were decided, finances could be discussed.
The job would involve assisting the new OURCs Secretary (with a reduced workload compared to this year) with running events, and also assisting the University squads.

It was explained that college boat clubs would have to help fund the sabbatical position, but the level of funding was currently unknown.
Boat clubs would pay ‘affiliation fees’ to OURCs to pay for the position, based on boats qualified in Eights the previous year (in the same way ARA fees are calculated).


The worst case scenario (no other funding sources) for this would be £63.55 per qualified boat, but JT explained that other sources of funding were being investigated including, but not limited to, OU Sports Department, producing the Eights programme, running swim tests.


Ali Korotana (OURCs) asked if this would raise the standard of college rowing, and if OURCs had approached the ARA for financial assistance.
With more time to commit to the college boat clubs, it would improve things for the colleges.
The ARA had not been asked, but would be approached by OURCs to see if they could help.




LM asked that if the person would be working for the squads, would OUBC also contribute.
JT explained that OUBC money is Sports Department funding, so yes, a contribution would hopefully be made.
RQ said that although Jon Roycroft (Director of Sport) may not want to fund it, the Sports Department will have to make a contribution, though some money will also have to come from OURCs.

CD raised the concern that this may mean colleges do not enter boats because they can’t afford to pay affiliation fees.
LM suggested that rowers pay for their entries, though Jess Espey (Worcester) said that subs are high enough as it is.

Justin Lewis-Oakes (Balliol) asked if OURCs had looked into getting sponsorship for Eights.
RQ explained that there had been 2 approaches made in the past few years by companies interested, but OURCs doesn’t have much to offer (no property, limited personnel, etc).
Also, it was not a good long term source of funding.


Hannah Johnson (Corpus) asked if more committee members could not be appointed to spread the workload.
JT: This is difficult, as a lot still has to be overseen by the Secretary.
Jenny Williams (OURCs) also pointed out that it is already hard to find someone to do it the jobs voluntarily.

Nick Cole (Lincoln) asked why the workload was more now than in previous years.
JT: With more rigorous safety requirements from the University, and the introduction of the Isis Winter League, OURCs took more time now.

MC asked if the job could be made part time, with the salary starting at £5-6000.
CD suggested that the job was combined with another in the University – admin, libraries, etc.
RQ explained that the grade banding for the job had to be set at this level, but sharing the person with 2 departments may be a very good idea.


8. Elections

Richard Stock (Lincoln) to Internet Secretary

Proposed: Alex Pearmain (OURCs); Seconded: Jen Thomson (OURCs Secretary)

For: overwhelming; Against: 0; Abstentions: 0.
ELECTED.

9. AOB

Appendices to the Rules

RQ explained that these explanatory appendices had been circulated via the OURCs mailing lists.
RQ and Andy Hadcroft created them, and they hope that these will act to explain certain OURCs rules in more detail than the rules allow, and also in the future allow the rules to be simplified by adding pieces to the appendices.
RQ will welcome any comments/changes anyone has.
They will be added to the OURCs rules, and will appear on the website.

Sponsorship of OULRC

James Gillies (OULRC) announced that OULRC have just signed a joint sponsorship deal with two companies, Viatel and Weil, Gotshal & Manges.
This means that the club can now be run better and they are now able to employ a coach for the entire domestic racing calendar, subsidise training camps and make trialling less expensive.

Row for Life

Tim Sambrook (St Hugh’s) announced that this year’s Row for Life would be taking place on March 1st (Tuesday of 7th week), and consists of a 40k erg (split between 8 crew members) in aid of Cancer Research UK.
It is being sponsored by Concept II and Unilever, and trophies will be awarded for the winning times.
If anyone would like to take part, please contact timothy.sambrook@st-hughs.ox.ac.uk



Sunday Mornings

JT reminded all the Captains (again) that there should be no rowing between 8am and 1pm on Sundays (out of courtesy to other river users, especially CORC who run their head races then).
Jesus were out a few weeks ago, and have now been banned from using CORC property for trailering, etc for the rest of the academic year, so please do not go out on the river then!

Tsunami Blade Aid

Sponsorship forms were given out for the Torpids sponsorship event for Tsunami Fundraising, and they can also be found on the relevant pages on the OURCs website for printing out.

Isis Winter League Entries

JT reminded colleges that the Isis Winter League entries close at 6pm on Thursday, and with over 40 entries already, colleges should make sure they are in on time.

Torpids Entries

Alex Pearmain (OURCs Torpids Secretary) reminded Captains that entry forms for Torpids are available on the OURCs website, and only paper entries will be accepted this year.
Also, all entry forms from each college should go in ONE envelope, with the college clearly marked on the front.